Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Niche Itch

Leslie from Leslie IRL recently did a post about finding out who you are on the internet. She had some really interesting questions to help you discover your niche. Some of the questions were super hard for me to answer, and really made me think.

It is quite the challenge to express who you really are on the internet, and easy to go with the flow of what everyone else is doing. I really like the metaphors she used, "What is your digital t-shirt? How do you decorate your e-bedroom wall? And where exactly is the proverbial lunch room of cyberspace?"

I challenge you to take the time to answer these questions and find your niche or answer them just for fun!

Here are my niche itch answers:

1. What is one of your favorite words, that you have never heard any one else that you know of describe themselves as?
5 by 5. Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer always says this, and for the longest time I didn't know what it meant.

2. If someone was to search for your blog in Google, and you could rank on the first page for 5 keywords, what would they be?

Kawaii, Dolls, Geeky, Handmade, Whimsical

3. What is your favorite adjective? Especially one to describe the way a person is.

Cute. I can't stop saying it, and everything is cute to me. My husband even says it now. 

4. Think of your favorite movie character, comic book character, or cartoon character, that you self-identity with. What are a couple of words you would use to describe their personality? What color would you describe them as?

I think I self-identify with Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. She is weird, honest, kind, and non-conformist. I think she could be described as a serene blue.
 
5. What color are you?

Leopard

6. What are you the most knowledgeable about? What would other people say you are the most knowledgeable about? When is the last time you went on a really good rant about something?

I am most knowledgeable about ceramics, art history, and teaching art to children. My sister says I am most knowledgeable about Oreos and shopping. I think I ranted last about people doing those Instagram closet sales and selling Forever 21 goods at practically retail...


7. If you had to design a business card right now, and could only have 3 words on it, what would those words be?

dolls, handmade, whimsy 

8. Your blog is a food. What food is it and why?

Does coffee count? I drink tons of coffee, take pictures of my coffee, and tweet about my coffee...I love coffee...and cupcakes. I realize cupcakes are super trendy, but they've always been my favorite. I enjoy how cute and tasty they can be. I feel my blog is also visually cute and the content is tasty.

9. If you could plan a photo shoot for your professional head shot, what would you be wearing? What piece of clothing, jewelry, or accessory would you wear that screams you?

Newsboy cap, my big Warby Parker glasses, red lipstick, band tee, carigan or blazer, jeans, and chucks. 

10. If you could collaborate with any blogger, artist, or person, who would it be, and what would you bring to their table?

Kelly Rae Roberts, she is just hugely inspiring and positive. I'd like to collaborate on mixed media dolls with all her awesome possibilitarian charm taken to the highest level of cuteness, and possibly something for children.

11. Pick a tagline for yourself. Or a few. 10 words total, for your identity, and niche.

A fatal attraction to cuteness...which I heard in a Gwen Stefani song, but I think describes me perfectly. But maybe a whimsical wizard of handmade kawaii with a fatal attraction to cuteness.

12. If you could copyright one item, food, object, or animal, and when people see it they would think of you, what would it be? It will help if this object is not already associated with someone else.

The first thing that comes to mind is Hello Kitty...I'm kinda obsessed. Or Starbucks, but I don't see them changing their logo to a picture of my face.  

13. Your blog is an animal. What animal is it, and why?

I'm going to go with Mokona, because Mokona is very cheerful, cute, and crazy. I feel my blog can be any or all of those things. 

 

14. You have to pick 2 emotions that your blog will make people feel. What are they?

Happy and Crafty. I realize crafty is not an emotion, but on occasion I do simple DIY's, and I want people to feel like they can be crafty, and have fun doing it! 

15. Someone who reads your blog writes you an email, expressing that your blog caused them to do something, or feel something, or think about something, or try to make something, and it makes you so happy to know this. What did it cause them to do?

Try something new! Whether it is a crafty project, reading a new manga, or trying a new recipe. 

16. What’s your favorite mythical creature, and why?

The Luck Dragon from Neverending Story. We say our pup Loki looks like Falkor and is our Luck Dachshund

17. Your blog is referred to someone that you admire by a friend. They use these 2 words to describe your niche. 

handmade and cute

18. You can only use one social network to promote your blog, forever. Which one do you choose and why?

Twitter, it's where I spend most of my time and where I've met a great group of people that I now consider friends.

19. You would love it if this store posted your blog’s business cards on their front counter.

Fancy Tiger in Bolder, CO! I've only been there once, but it was the coolest place on earth to me. They sold crafty books, yarn, re-purposed clothes, and local music. It's pretty much my heaven, and it's right next door to a rad coffee shop. 

20. If you had to pull an Emma, and take a photo of yourself looking down from your chin of your feet and the ground, where would you choose to be standing, what would you choose to wear, and why?

This was taken right outside my house, I was headed to my bridal shower. I'm wearing Vans that look like saddle shoes and that's a vintage Kate Spade bag. This was just such a fun time in my life, and there's no place like home.

21. What are you most passionate about? What would other people perceive you as being most passionate about? Are these things different?

Right now I'm passionate about making dolls, and just learning and expanding my skills. Others might perceive me as passionate about creating, which goes hand in hand with making dolls. I'm always creating or trying to create, it's what makes me happy and has the ability to make others happy. 

22. You have to choose a celebrity to do a poetic reading of your favorite blog post, with the perfect voice. Who is it? 

I'm not sure if she's a celebrity unless you're into dubbed anime, but I love Monica Rial's voice. My husband says I sound like her from time to time, which I take as a compliment.

23. What image on someone else’s blog have you seen that you love?

This image is from Ponyo, but I love their faces! I also love this post and video showing you how to make Ponyo Ramen...it's super kawaii!


24. You can only blog from one location for the rest of your life. Where is it?

All the local coffee shops I love have closed, but maybe I'll find a new one and never leave.

25. You walk into the Internet cafeteria. You see tables with every blogger ever. You sit down at the table with these 5 bloggers.

Kristin from My Life As A Teacup, Sonya Cheney, Cazz from Nerdburger, Katie from Skunkboy, Twinkie Chan

26. You have to decorate your online bedroom. What is the pattern on your bedspread? What poster is above your bed? And what CD is in the CD player?

The pattern on my bedspread is a handmade quilt featuring all my favorite characters like Hello Kitty, Pikachu, Marceline, Lumpy Space Princess, Sailor Moon...you get the idea. The poster above my bed is of Dolly Parton,  and the new Perma album is in my cd player.

Leave a comment and let me know if you answered the questions, I'd love to check out your answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment